TCM starts at the beginning with Four Daughters at 6 am, the movie that was not only John Garfield’s film debut but which made him an overnight movie star.
Summer Under the Stars gives us 24 hours of John Garfield including a handful of war movies including Garfield with Cary Grant in Destination Tokyo (at 4 am!). We get tough guy Garfield with The Dead End Kids in They Made Me a Criminal, and Garfield in a complicated relationship with Joan Crawford in Humoresque. In the prime 8 pm spot Garfield gets entangled with Lana Turner in the classic The Postman Always Rings Twice.
It’s a solid, though not quite spectacular, run of John Garfield movies on TCM Summer Under the Stars, Friday, August 5. Missing favorites include The Sea Wolf (1941), Out of the Fog (1941), and Force of Evil (1948). Still, can’t have ’em all!
Here’s the complete schedule:
John Garfield on TCM, August 5
- 6:00 am – Four Daughters (1938)
- 7:45 am – Blackwell’s Island (1939)
- 9:00 am – They Made Me a Criminal (1939)
- 10:45 am – Dangerously They Live (1942)
- 12:15 pm – Pride of the Marines (1945)
- 2:30 pm – Air Force (1943)
- 4:45 pm – Humoresque (1946)
- 7:00 pm – The John Garfield Story (2003)
- 8:00 pm – The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
- 10:00 pm – The Breaking Point (1950)
- 12:00 am – We Were Strangers (1949)
- 2:00 am – He Ran All the Way (1951)
- 4:00 am – Destination Tokyo (1943)
*All times EST
Local drug store, 1940. Pull a penny out of your pocket. Insert into slide mechanism of machine and push in. Slide out slowly and receive a 3×5 Made in the USA Arcade Card, in this case featuring today’s featured star, John Garfield:
- The Postman Always Rings Twice calls up plenty of links in the Classic Movie Search (including my own), but we’ll go with Dawn’s coverage on Noir and Chick Flicks to get you started.
- He Ran All the Way isn’t on TCM until 2 am, but here’s a detailed look at the film from Steve-O on Film Noir of the Week
- Film historian Kim Morgan had the opportunity to interview Garfield’s daughter, Julie Garfield, at the 2010 Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival. The entire interview is embedded on her site, Sunset Gun.
The online world of Classic Movies is simply found with ClassicMovieSearch.com. Our custom search narrows Google’s focus to only Classic Film sites and blogs making the cream rise ever so much more easily to the top. Try it out:
The image showcased on this page is just one of thousands of vintage movie collectibles available in my eBay Store.
If you just found us you may want to Subscribe to ClassicMovieSearch.com by Email.
Subscribers will receive a new post every day throughout August 2011 covering TCM’s Summer Under the Stars.
[phpbay]john garfield, 12, 45100, “”, “”, “”, 30[/phpbay]
Comments Off on John Garfield Found! August 5 on TCM Summer Under the Stars