It's a strange legacy. You mention Gloria Stuart to the man on the street and they shrug; you add You know, the old lady from Titanic, and they get you then. Well, TCM is doing things up right for Gloria Stuart this coming Friday night, November 4, as it airs four of her films from between 1933-1935 while restraining themselves from their umpteenth Titanic airing.
Gloria Stuart had been one of our few surviving stars from Hollywood's Golden Age until her passing last September at age 100, at which time she, and, er hem, Titanic, were in the spotlight one more time. But Friday night TCM gives classic movie fans an evening of the Gloria Stuart we choose to remember, as do the sites we visit in today's Classic Movie Search found down below. Enjoy:
Gloria Stuart on TCM
Friday night, November 4, 2010
- 8:00 pm - The Invisible Man (1933) starring Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart, Una O'Connor
- 9:30 pm - Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935) starring Dick Powell, Adolphe Menjou, Alice Brady
- 11:15 pm - Here Comes the Navy (1934) starring James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, Dorothy Tree
- 1:00 am - Maybe It's Love (1935) starring Ross Alexander, Gloria Stuart, Frank McHugh
All times EST; TCM US schedule
- It's hard to believe it's been over a year already, but many of the classic film sites indexed here published remembrances of Gloria Stuart when she died last September 26 at age 100, including: Comet Over Hollywood, Laura's Miscellaneous Musings, A Shroud of Thoughts, and myself at Immortal Ephemera, among many others.
- Earlier in 2010 many sites celebrated Stuart's 100th Birthday. TCM's Movie Morlocks blog embedded several videos into their centennial tribute
- Horror classic The Invisible Man kicks off TCM's Gloria Stuart tribute at 8 pm EST. Here's The Invisible Man as covered on Cinema OCD and recently revived for the season at A Mythical Monkey Writes About the Movies
- Chills of another kind come to you courtesy of Busby Berkeley in Gold Diggers of 1935 at 9:30 pm EST. Here's Laura's take at Laura's Miscellaneous Musings
- Cagney and O'Brien star in Here Comes the Navy at 11:15 pm EST, a nominee for Best Picture in 1934 - Edward Copeland on Film tries to figure that one out
- There's honestly not a lot of info to be found inside the Search on Maybe It's Love, our 1:00 am EST nightcap, but the Movie Mirrors Index has a brief synopsis for us.
- While I'm sure most of us Classic Film Fans are happy TCM didn't thrust Titanic in our path this evening, many are probably curious as to what happened to The Old Dark House. If you're missing this one too then you can head over to Dave's Classic Films to read all about it.
The online world of Classic Movies is simply found with ClassicMovieSearch.com. Our custom search narrows Google's focus to only Classic Film sites and blogs making the cream rise ever so much more easily to the top. Try it out:
The image showcased on this page is just one of thousands of vintage movie collectibles available in my eBay Store.
If you just found us you may want to Subscribe to ClassicMovieSearch.com by Email.
GLORIA STUART SIGNED AUTOGRAPHED 8X10 THE TITANIC ROSE AT 100 DECEASED
Time Remaining: 18h 56m
Buy It Now for only: $39.95
GLORIA STUART SIGNED AUTOGRAPHED 8X10 THE TITANIC 100 YEAR OLD WOMAN DECEASED
Time Remaining: 18h 58m
Buy It Now for only: $44.95
GLORIA STUART SIGNED AUTOGRAPH 8X10 TITANIC 100 YEAR OLD "ROSE" DECEASED
Time Remaining: 19h 1m
Buy It Now for only: $42.95
YOUNG GLORIA STUART SIGNED AUTOGRAPH 8X10 TITANIC 100 YR OLD "ROSE" DECEASED
Time Remaining: 19h 4m
Buy It Now for only: $42.95
Did I miss your article about Gloria Stuart? Feel free to add a link in the comments section: